Are you looking for your next cycling holiday adventure? Been to Mallorca and done it? Ridden in Girona? Then look no further than Calpe, Costa Blanca, a hidden gem nestled on the stunning Costa Blanca coastline in Spain. With its year-round sunshine, breathtaking landscapes, and thrilling routes, Calpe is a cyclist’s paradise just waiting to be explored. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner, this ultimate guide will take you on a journey through the best cycling routes in Calpe, uncovering hidden gems along the way. From the challenging climbs of the Sierra de Bernia to the picturesque coastal roads that hug the Mediterranean Sea, Calpe offers a diverse range of terrain to suit every cyclist’s preferences.
So grab your helmet and get ready to embark on an unforgettable cycling holiday in Calpe, Costa Blanca. Let’s dive in and unveil the secrets of cycling in Calpe together.
The Best Time to Cycle in Calpe
Calpe enjoys a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and hot summers, making it an ideal destination for cycling year-round. However, the best time to visit for cycling is during the spring and autumn months when the temperatures are pleasant and the roads are less crowded with tourists.
During spring, from March to May, the weather in Calpe is warm, with temperatures ranging from 15°C to 25°C (59°F to 77°F). The countryside is in full bloom, and the hills are covered in vibrant wildflowers, creating a picturesque backdrop for your rides and Insta shots. Autumn, from September to November, offers similar weather conditions, making it another great season for cycling in Calpe.
It’s worth noting that summers in Calpe can get extremely hot, with temperatures exceeding 30°C (86°F). If you plan to cycle during this season, it’s best to ride early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the scorching midday heat. Don’t forget to stay hydrated and wear appropriate sun protection.
Exploring the Hidden Gems of Calpe
Calpe may be known for its stunning coastline and beautiful beaches, but it also hides some remarkable gems waiting to be discovered by adventurous cyclists. Once you venture beyond the popular tourist spots, you’ll find yourself immersed in the breathtaking natural beauty of Calpe’s countryside.
The Sierra de Bernia is a mountain range located just a short distance from Calpe. It’s almost entirely ignored by the beachgoers and the tourists. Not by cyclists however! The Sierra de Bernia offers challenging climbs and rewarding panoramic views of the surrounding landscapes. As you conquer the steep ascents, you’ll be rewarded with sweeping vistas of the Mediterranean Sea and the picturesque town of Altea.
Our Top Cycling Routes in Calpe
Calpe offers a diverse range of cycling routes that cater to all skill levels and preferences. Whether you’re a beginner looking for a leisurely ride or a seasoned pro seeking challenging climbs, there’s a route for you in Calpe. Join us on some of our favourite routes including:
1. Coll de Rates: This iconic climb is a favourite among cyclists visiting Calpe. Starting from the nearby town of Parcent, the Coll de Rates is a challenging ascent with stunning views of the surrounding valleys and vineyards. The climb is approximately 6.5 kilometers long with an average gradient of 5.6%. It offers some of the most spectacular views across the mountains and to the ocean below. We love it so much that we’ve written an entire blog on the climb which you can read here.
2. Puerto de Tudons: Located in the nearby Sierra de Aitana mountain range, the Puerto de Tudons is a demanding climb that will test your strength and endurance. The route starts from Benidorm and ascends to an altitude of 1,024 meters (3,360 feet) over a distance of 15 kilometers. The panoramic views from the top are well worth the effort.
3. Coastal Route to Moraira: For those who prefer a scenic coastal ride, the route from Calpe to the charming town of Moraira is a must-try. This route takes you along the picturesque coastline, offering breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea. The total distance is approximately 24 kilometers, and the terrain is mostly flat, making it suitable for cyclists of all levels.
Cycling Events and Races in Calpe
Calpe is not only a popular destination for leisure cyclists but also hosts several cycling events and races throughout the year. Whether you’re a competitive cyclist or simply enjoy the thrill of participating in organised rides, here are some notable events to keep an eye out for:
1. La Vuelta a España: Calpe has been a regular host city for stages of the prestigious La Vuelta a España, one of the three Grand Tours of road cycling. Spectators can witness world-class cyclists competing in thrilling stages that showcase the beauty of Calpe’s landscapes.
2. Granfondo Alberto Contador: Organised by former professional cyclist Alberto Contador, the Granfondo Alberto Contador is a challenging sportive event that attracts cyclists from around the world. The event offers various distance options, allowing participants to choose a route that suits their abilities.
3. Calpe Cycling Festival: Held annually in Calpe, the Calpe Cycling Festival is a multi-day event that celebrates all things cycling. The festival includes guided rides, workshops, exhibitions, and social gatherings, providing a fantastic opportunity to connect with fellow cyclists and immerse yourself in the cycling community.
Participating in cycling events and races in Calpe not only adds excitement to your cycling journey but also allows you to experience the camaraderie and competitive spirit of the cycling community.
Why Book with Love Velo
Calpe offers everything a cyclist could dream of – stunning landscapes, challenging climbs, hidden gems, and a vibrant cycling community. Whether you’re seeking adrenaline-pumping rides or leisurely coastal routes, Calpe has something to offer for every type of cyclist.
The best bit is that at Love Velo, we know Calpe better than most. We send over 10,000 cyclists across the world each year and 50% of those go to Spain.
Self Guided Cycling Holiday in Calpe
If you fancy exploring this beautiful region by yourself, then we recommend our self guided cycling holiday in Calpe. We have the best routes, all in digital format. Follow them and find the best routes and rides in the mountains and along the coast. We also know the best hotels and will organise a fabulous hotel right by the beach, for you to relax each afternoon. Don’t worry about bike hire either, we have the best in the area. You will be equipped with an Ultegra disc brake Ridley Phoenix, complete with DI2 electronic gearing.
Guided Cycling Holiday in Calpe
Sometimes, you just want the experts to show you around. For that, we are here for you. We have guided cycling weeks between March and October each year. Come and join us and enjoy 3 levels of rides, going out 6 days a week. Push yourself further and harder in the top group, or just enjoy the riding in the slower paced group.